Read this information carefully before registering.
Each May we host a graduation ceremony for homeschool students. This is a special way to celebrate the students’ accomplishments and hard work. Congratulations on reaching this milestone!
- This is NOT a community graduation. This is for students who attend The Shepherd’s Church or have participated in one of Shepherd’s homeschool high school programs.
- Advance registration is required. Deadline to register is 11:00 pm on April 1, 2023.
- February 1, 2023: Registration opens.
- March 7, 2023: Informational Meeting at 7:00pm in the Student Center Upper Room. Enter the church through the Student Center main doors. Once inside, take the stairs in the cafe area or the first-floor elevator at the end of the hallway to the 2nd floor of the Student Center to get to the Upper Room. RSVP for info meeting to Carolyn Cuany email@example.com
- April 1, 2023: Registration deadline
- May 19, 2023: Mandatory rehearsal 6:00-7:00pm. We will be prompt so please come a few minutes early.
- May 20, 2023: Graduation Ceremony 10:00am. Students will need to arrive at 9:00am.
The registration fee is $80 per graduate. A graduation day class photo & diploma photo are included.
Prior To Registration (You will not be able to register without these.)
- Gather 3 digital photos (jpeg in landscape format is preferable): a baby picture, elementary/middle years picture, and recent informal photo of the graduate. These photos will be displayed on the screen during the graduation.
- Prepare a biography of no more than 100 words. This biography will be read while the graduate and parents are on stage. Some suggestions for what to mention include: interests and hobbies; place of birth; names of the immediate family; awards, honors and scholarships; clubs; community service; church participation; mission trips; favorite verse; University to be attended and future plans.
Here are sample biographies:
“Jane Smith is an 18 year old graduate of her family’s home school, Smith Academy. She has been home schooled for 4 years. Activities that she has been involved in through the years are soccer, basketball, violin, orchestra, and National Honor Society. She will enter University of North Carolina at Charlotte in the fall, with a major in Psychology. Jane enjoys watching sports, playing ultimate frisbee, and spending time with good friends.”
“John Doe is the son of Larry and Sue. Born and raised in Cary, he has been homeschooled his whole life. John loves to read but not write, play sports, but not run, and watch TV, but not the commercials. Whenever he can, John can be found spending time with his brothers and friends. He has served in Awana for seven years and will continue to do so in college. A member of the National Honor Society and a National Merit Finalist, John has taken 19 credit hours from Durham Tech. In the fall, John will study environmental engineering at NC State University.”
Graduation Dress Code
- Black graduation cap and gown in a matte finish. (You must provide your cap and gown.)
- Each student must wear “church” clothes under the graduation gown. Modest dresses for girls and dress shirt, tie and dress slacks for boys.
- Dress shoes are required for both male and females. (No flip flops or sports shoes)
Items to Purchase
You will need to bring the following to the graduation ceremony:
- Black cap and gown in a matte finish.
- Tassel in a color of your choosing.
- Diploma and diploma cover. (Black)
- Honor cords for students in an Honor Society.
- Gold stole for students with a GPA of at least 3.75
- OPTIONAL: If you plan to purchase announcements or invitations, the address is:
The Shepherd’s Church / 6051 Tryon Road / Cary, NC 27518
One source for obtaining these items is www.graduationsource.com
Senior Display Board
There is a reception for graduates and guests immediately following the graduation ceremony. Many families display a trifold board or poster that highlights their student’s special moments, awards and certificates that have helped him or her arrive where they are today. These boards will be displayed during the reception. A senior board is optional, but the table space for a board must be reserved in advance. Please make sure that your graduate’s name is somewhere on the board.
(Remember, you must attend The Shepherd’s Church or have participated in one of Shepherd’s homeschool programs to participate in this graduation. This is not a community graduation.) Email will be our only form of communication. It is important that we have both the student and parent email addresses. You will receive a confirmation email when you register. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Jonell Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.